Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lighthouse Mania



Sea BreezesI am a lighthouse lover. That I live close to two of Georgia's lighthouses delights me. Our local Sapelo Island lighthouse, shown here, requires a 15 mile drive from my house and a thirty minute ferry ride. When our boat gets in the river, we will be able to ride over to Sapelo Island, departing from our local, close to our house dock. My friend who sold me our boat just informed me that we can rent a cabin over on Sapelo. I am excited about future excursions over to our local island. We have lived on St. Simons Island for the last ten years, and the St. Simons lighthouse is also dear to me. St. Simons still remains a weekly haunt for me, as my hairdresser is there, many friends, and we still love to go to the beach often. When I go over to St. Simons, I always enjoy seeing the lighthouse, especially as the sun goes down. Both lights are still in use as nautical guides. They both have a rich history, which I find fascinating. A childhood song, which I sang to my own children, is one that always comes to mind when I see the powerful beam of the lighthouse shining out on the sea. "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." Is my little life light shining for all to see? Although not the power of the mighty light that beams twenty nautical miles, my light is still visible. Will a person is distress in the waters of life see my little light and be guided to the safety of the shore? This evening, these thoughts fill my mind and I am reminded that He is the Light of the World. I am going to try to not hide my beam of His light under a bushel, but to uncover it for all the world to see.

1 comment:

Kittie "Kat" said...

I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your post. I might not always comment, but I'm always reading and I always come away with "food for tho't". Keep on blogging!