Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Am I Having Too Much Fun on Spring Break?


Sea BreezesOh my, am I having too much fun on my spring break? Monday morning I again slept past 5 a.m. ah, sheer bliss, and was still prone when the sun showed his face in the east. I showered, dressed after a leisurely breakfast and two slow cups of coffee and scooted out the door to go get my oil changed and my car washed. Living on a sand road and driving a black car is not a good mix for one who likes her car clean and shiny. I popped by my favorite nursery in Darien, met a lovely black lady, also a gardener and fellow retired teacher, and we struck up a conversation. We also discovered we had a couple of mutual friend gardeners. She mentioned she had some turnip greens in her garden she needed to give away. I replied I had a husband who loved fresh greens. Next thing I knew, I was following my new friend to her home to see her garden and cut some turnip greens. We had a lovely half hour chatting about flowers, gardens and such, examining her soil and sharing planting tips. I gleaned much information about the local soil and what does best as I am getting ready to buy dirt and put in my spring garden. What a lovely direction my day took. I was in a hurry to get on the road to Statesboro to spend a couple of days with Kennedy and Katie. Greg was flying to Mobile for business and Kennedy and I had planned some MeMe Kennedy time while Mommy went to teach. Monday night Greg, Katie, Kennedy, Patrick and I had dinner out. Tuesday precious Kennedy and MeMe had a grand time. We read books, played with babies, took a long stroll, fed ducks and fish, played on the swing, took a wagon ride with Riley dachshund, laughed and loved and napped. Mommy came home and Uncle Patrick came over for dinner. The next morning we had another grand day planned, but a warm baby forehead put a crimp in our plans. Mommy checked temp which was just a bit elevated, Motrin was given and promises were made to let Mommy know at school if temp went up. After morning nap, grand plans turned to holding a sick granddaughter in my arms and loving and soothing her and getting in touch with Mommy, who came home early, and we all headed to the doc. This MeMe was still enjoying her spring break because she was with her precious family. Kennedy had double ear infections, and I am happy to report is much better today. After coming back home, I found myself today scooting to the Y to swim with my convertible top down feeling almost giddy in the cool spring morning with skies overhead dressed in blue glimmering over the salt marshes as I breezed over the rivers to Brunswick. The outdoor pool felt heavenly as I swam laps, and I got a bit of sunburn in the hour I swam. One of the lifeguards was my student last year, and we enjoyed a poolside chat.
She is on the swim team and has been a big help with my stroke technique. The drive back was equally as refreshing, air warmer and the sweet smell of salt and ocean in the air. How I love our coastal spring, even though she stays for just a short while before the heat and humidity of our long summer push her out the door. How wonderful to break for spring. Tomorrow I have decided to go the beach and do....nothing. I will enjoy riding past the salt marshes as the gray of the marsh grass
slowly fades to the lovely emerald green of summer. Enjoy a picture of our lovely salt marshes. I drive through them every day to work, and they always amaze me with their beauty. Here is to spring break and spring!

1 comment:

Kittie "Kat" said...

I'm so glad Kennedy is better, AND so jealous of your spring break!!