Total Pageviews

Friday, July 17, 2009

Beautiful, Magical Sapelo Island

Sea Breezes Sapelo Island is a barrier island of the south Atlantic coastline. Sapelo Island is here in my own McIntosh County in Georgia. I want to share it with you. Sapelo Island is only assessable by boat or ferry. This island is semitropical and a mystical paradise. Over the next few blogs, I want to share its unique beauty, history, and my visit there this summer. The pictures are shots I took to share some of Sapelo's beauty. Loveliness is at every turn. I tried to share a few vignettes of Sapelo in the pictures below. In the next blog, I will share more about the history of the mansion we stayed in and pictures of the mansion.
Only about 50 people currently live on Sapelo. I am getting ahead of myself. Let me share some of its history. Sapelo's human history dates back over 4,000 years. Human occupants of this island have included Native Americans, African slaves, Spanish missionaries, English pirates, antebellum plantation owners and cotton planters and northern industrialists. Sapelo's natural beauty is take your breath away. Migrating water fowl, ancient life oaks, pristine sandy beaches, swaying palms, vast salt marshes, sparkling ribbons of rivers and creeks, a myriad of wildlife, plenty of gator families gives you some idea about Sapelo. I can't begin to describe the sunlight playing through the Spanish moss, the breezes dancing with the sea oats on the beach during a summer evening, but I will try in the next blogs to share more with you of this most magical island. Please excuse the scenes I didn't get to photograph. Every moment of every day on Sapelo Island is a photo opportunity, every fawn who lifts her head to see you pass, every sea turtle who kicks up sand on her journey back to the sea, or every painted bunting who darts out of the salt marsh insists on being the subject of a poem for this wanna be writer. This is my second summer to spend on Sapelo and my family cannot understand my love affair with this island. They have not been. Should they or you go there, you too would be transported and mesmerized by its beauty and tranquility. I will try my best to take you there. Please enjoy these pictures. I will let them speak to you.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's about time!!! I was about to join Katie's ranks and just quit checking it! Glad you are back - I look forward to your postings about the island! Love you, Gayle