Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summertime and I'll Be On Island Time



Sea BreezesSummertime for me started today. Today was our last day of teacher planning....and now the best part of being a teacher..SUMMER! I have always loved summer. Summer is sun, sand, ocean, pools, ice cream, shade, lazy, children, play, hammocks, lemonade, swings, watermelon, picnics and....VACATION! In the morning on the outgoing tide, I and 22 other teacher friends board the ferry to Sapelo Island which is here in McIntosh County. It is accesible only by boat. The ferry leaves from Meridian, about 10 miles from our house. I am so excited. I have never been to Sapelo, and I am a lover of islands. The island has a rich history. Google some history, you will be enchanted by what you read. We are staying at "The Reynolds Mansion", the former home of R.J. Reynolds, the last owner of Sapelo. The mansion was restored in 1926, it was the former plantation home. We will have island tours, ghost crab hunts on Nannygoat Beach, which is pictured here, bicycle rides around the island, bird watching, beachcombing, hammock hanging out, fried chicken picnics and wicker rocker sitting. I am all packed. I have my flip flops, camera, bug spray, binoculors and sunglasses... if I forget anything else, I am out of luck as this island sells nothing. So if I don't post for three days, hey, I am on island time. I'll be the fool sitting on the sand writing poetry, taking pictures, reading a book, collecting shells, sunning, birdwatching, dolphin watching and chatting with friends. Have a great week. Sapelo Island here I come!

1 comment:

Liza said...

That sounds WONDERFUL!